Joseph Columbus Harvey was born 4 Nov 1854 in Arkansas to Dr. Joseph T and Sarah Enos Harvey. On 20 October 1872 in Saline, Arkansas Joseph married Virginia Pack. She was born on 13 June 1856 in Arkansas to ?? and Mary J Pack (pictured below).
According to the 1910 Census, the couple had 6 children, 4 were living. I can account for the following five children: Annie (1874), William Lee (1877), Leta E (1884), Josephine F (1887) and Mary Yula (1891). I believe their sixth child might have been Frankie, but I am not sure of the year she was born.
1) Annie Harvey was born May 1874 in Arkansas. On _____ she married a gentleman by the name of Emile Trebing. Emile was born in Kentucky, Jan 1867 to parents who were both born in Germany. He was a graduate of the Kentucky School for the Blind and in 1888 was elected principal music teacher at the Arkansas School for the Blind. With the exception of the two years that he studied music at the Cincinnati Conservatory, he was the Director of the Music Department until his death in the summer of 1940.
This short article about Annie in the "State and National Music Associations, Second Annual Report" shows her dedictation to bring music into her community.
The "Arkansas Biennia Report of the Auditor of State for the years 1907-1908" (shown below) shows Annie was salaried as a Principal Teacher of Vocal Music.
Emile appears on this same report as a Musical Director.
It appears that Emile and Annie had only one child, a son named Emile Harvey Trebing, Jr who was born 20 Nov 1901. The family stories claim he broke his back when someone jumped on him in a pool and that his mother cared for him at home until his death on 29 May 1928.
Emile Trebing died 28 Jun 1940 and his wife Annie lived almost 15 years as a widow. She died on 8 Jan 1955 and the family of three were buried at Roselawn Memorial Park in Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas.
2) William Lee Harvey (1.10), called "Lee," was born 19 Mar 1877 in Benton, Arkansas. Around 1893 he relocated to Sanford, Florida before 1912 where he lived as a resident through the end of his life. He was 34 years old when he married Alice Frances Robbins (1.11), age 22, in Sanford, Florida on 7 Feb 1912. Lee and Alice three children, William Lee, Jr (b: 7 Nov 1912), Alice Virginia (1.5) (b: 28 Feb 1914) and Hazel Folsom (b: 16 Dec 1915).
William Lee, Sr. and William Lee, Jr.
William Lee, Sr. and his three children, William, Alice and Hazel.
Lee lost sight in one eye from a thrown rock, so he attended and graduated from the Arkansas School for the Blind in 1897. He had a profession of musician and was also a piano tuner. For many years he was a member of the Al G Fields minstrel troupe and traveled abroad with several other minstrel shows. He was a cornetist and pianist.
Lee had been ill for two years before passing away at 10am on Saturday, 30 Jun 1951. His wife, Alice, passed away on 4 July 1959 and both are buried at the Evergreen Municipal Cemetery in Sanford, Seminole, Florida.
3) Josephine "Joe" F Harvey was born 24 June 1887 in Benton, Saline, Arkansas. She was 18 years old when she married Tilford "Tip" Lee Hockersmith, age 33, on 4 Mar 1906. At the time they were both residents of Benton, Saline, Arkansas. Together they had three children, Tilford Lee (b: 20 Nov 1907), Mary Virginia (b: 6 Nov 1914) and James Harvey "Boo" (b: 31 Mar 1915, d: 5 Oct 1994). Sometime after the birth of their last child, Joe and Tip were divorced and she later married William P (Mason) Gaylord (b: 13 Mar 1876, d: 17 Oct 1971). Joe was the first woman city treasure of Benton, Saline, Arkansas. Both Joe and William are buried at the Old Rosemont Cemetery in Benton, Saline County, Arkansas. She died 19 Mar 1976.
4) Leta E Harvey was born 21 Oct 1884 in Arkansas and was 25 years old when she married Jesse Andrew Dowdy, age 36 on 20 Feb 1910. Both were residents in Benton, Saline, Arkansas at the time of their marriage. Together they had at least one child, a daughter named Maxine (b: about 1914). Jesse was born 12 Apr 1874 and died 4 Mar 1923. He is buried at the Old Rosemont Cemetery, Section 7 in Benton, Saline, Arkansas. Leta died 32 years after her husband on 4 Nov 1955 in Memphis, Shelby, Tennessee.
Lee Harvey, Mary J Pack-Boyd (mother of Virginia Pack),
Josephine Hockersmith-Gaylord and Maxine Dowdy.
5) Mary Yula was born on January 7, 1891 and died on June 20, 1894. She was just over 3 years old.
Joseph Columbus and Virginia P Harvey are buried at the Old Rosemont Cemetery, Section 3 in Benton, Saline County, Arkansas. Also buried there are Mary Yula and Frankie. I assume that Frankie might be their sixth child and perhaps he or she died at a young age as well.